1 Thessalonians 2:17-20 (NIV)
In this series on “Back To Basics – Basic Training For Christians”, we’ve been looking at some basics things that we need to know as Christians. We’ve been looking at it from a military viewpoint of getting our basic training. Since today is Super Bowl Sunday, I want to add a little football strategy in it as well. Whether you are on the football field, on the battlefield or in everyday life, the opponent or enemy wants to block us from getting through to our goal. In these scriptures in 1 Thessalonians, Paul states that Satan blocked or hindered his way. Just like Paul did, we must realize that Satan is not only a great tempter, he is also a great defender. He loves blocking out the Christian in their attempts to serve God and to be obedient to Him.
Today I want to give you three questions to answer when you feel like Satan is blocking you from getting to where God wants you to be.
- Why am I experiencing this blockage in my life?
Paul said that he was trying to get to the church of Thessalonica, but Satan blocked him. He had tried several times, but Satan blocked him from getting to where the glory of God was. Here are some reasons we may experience blockage:
- We are out of God’s will and God is trying to protect us. Sometimes we may be trying to go in a direction that is not pleasing to God and He is trying to keep us from going in a wrong direction.
- We are doing God’s will and Satan is blocking us. Anytime that you are moving forward with doing what God wants you to do, Satan is going to try to block you. Satan wants to block us from our passion and from what will bring glory to God.
- How am I going to react to this blockage in my life?
Satan blocking us is not really a question, the question is how are we going to react to his attempts to block us.
- If you are out of God’s will, your reaction should be to make a change to get things right with God.
- If it is Satan blocking you, you determine that you are not going to be defeated or give up.
- What are my next steps to defeat Satan and breakthrough?
- Resist Satan. James 4:7–8 (NIV84): Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 1 Peter 5:8–9 (NIV84): Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
- Rebuke Satan. Here’s how Jesus rebuked the attempts of Satan when he used Peter: Matthew 16:23 (NIV84): 23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”
When Satan attempts to block you from doing God’s will, you must determine that you will not be totally discouraged or defeated. With the power of God’s word and staying on course with God’s will, you will get the victory.