2 Cor. 1:1-7 (NIV)
Where do you go to find comfort in times of trouble? Is it in a security blanket, a bottle of alcohol, a pill, running away or maybe in deadening it with some type of pleasure?
The apostle Paul found his comfort in God the Father! Paul knew what it was like to experience troublesome times and trials. He was beaten to the point of death, stoned and left for dead, shipwrecked in a storm, deserted by friends and bitten by a poisonous snake. Yet he said that the ultimate source of comfort was in God the Father of compassion and comfort!
What is it that gives us comfort from God the Father?
- Our relationship with God as Father gives us comfort.
- The revelation that God knows how we feel and therefore knows what comfort we need.
- God’s resources to meet our needs gives us comfort.
- The richness of God’s love for us comforts us.
- The reality that God allows us to suffer so that we can comfort others gives us comfort.
The question is not whether God understands what we are going through or if He can comfort us. The question is whether we trust in Him alone to provide all our comfort and to use us to comfort others.